Manager, Backend Engineering
Zero Longevity Science
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2023
Zero Longevity Science is on a mission to help all people live longer, healthier lives. We’ve helped Zero members lose millions of pounds, reverse disease, and unlock youthful energy to change their lives for the better. Our purpose-driven, fully distributed team helps our members increase metabolic wellbeing through the holistic connections between nutrition, exercise, sleep, and stress. Check out our job site to learn more about who we are and what we’re up to.
About the Role
We are looking for a Backend Engineering Manager to lead a highly skilled team of cross-functional frontend and backend engineers focused on building a highly performant, intuitive and secure infrastructure and experience for the Zero client and our members.
You will report to the VP of Engineering and will be responsible for successfully delivering product features and technical infrastructure. You will actively mentor and contribute to the personal development of their team.
You're a great fit for this role if you get just as excited seeing others grow and learn under your leadership as you do by executing the work yourself. You seek to improve standard practices and cultivate a culture of excellence.
As our Manager of Backend Engineering you will work with a diverse group of people and collaborate to create the best solutions for Zero and our members.
In this role you will need to:
- Help your team design, build and operate Zero’s’ backend services with a focus on performance and reliability
- Maintain a strong sense of accountability and drive within the team, fostering a culture of delivering pragmatic solutions on time and consistent progress toward goals.
- Understand the tradeoffs between architectural decisions and user experience, making informed choices that balance both aspects effectively
- Architect, design, write (sometimes), review, and test code in a collaborative environment with other software engineers
- Provide leadership and mentorship to the engineering team, guiding their professional growth and helping them achieve their objectives.
- Collaborate with backend engineering, product managers, designers, marketing and other stakeholders to align technical solutions with business requirements.
- Act as a strong communicator, effectively conveying information to upper management, peers, and team members in a clear and concise manner
- Located and authorized to work in the United States or Canada.
- You have at least 5 years experience managing Engineering teams
- You love fostering career growth and building a strong team culture
- You proactively identify problems and opportunities and generate creative approaches to solve them
- You can effectively plan engineering projects with ambitious timelines and advocate for efficient solutions to accomplishing them
- You know how to review code and deliver feedback
- You use objective judgment in leveraging the right frameworks and technologies.
- You're versed in cloud computing systems (GCP, AWS, etc.) and SAAS concepts. You have experience with a multitude of data storage solutions (SQL, NoSQL, Redis, etc)
- You know best practices for deploying, troubleshooting, and maintaining systems in production
- You’ve built modern, resilient and operationally sane systems exemplifying industry standards (HTTP REST, GraphQL, Stream processing, Big Data)
- You’ve leveraged continuous integration systems to their full extent (CircleCI, Bamboo, Jenkins, TravisCI)
- You’ve planned for, built, evolved and scrutinized monitoring and alerting for your production systems
- You have strong communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization
Some nice-to-have we're excited about:
- Passion for and experience in health, fitness, and wellness
- Contributions to open source communities and projects
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker, CircleCI, Git, Golang
- Experience with GraphQL, GraphQL Federation, REST APIs and supporting network protocols
- Experience with a distributed SQL platform like CockroachDB or Google Spanner
- Experience with Hadoop, MapReduce, or other “Big Data” systems
We set a national pay band, so that no matter where in the country you live, the pay is the same. The starting pay band for a Software Engineering Manager role is $180,000 to $197,000 in your local currency.
Job level and salary will be determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and seniority of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. Your total compensation will also include equity and benefits.
Millions of Americans are metabolically unwell. We created Zero to help. Zero makes it simple for anyone to form healthy habits that build metabolic wellness. We’re helping millions of people commit to life-saving, longevity-boosting practices, all in service to our ultimate goal: extending the lifespan and healthspan of the human race. And we’ve only just begun
.We’re fully remote and 100% dedicated to making a difference. Our team works around the world with views of the Golden Gate Bridge, the CN Tower, the Meradalir volcano and the backyard chicken coop. Working from 5 countries and across 10 time zones, we’re committed to making virtual collaboration an excellent experience.
Just a few of our MVP benefits:
* 99% company-paid health insurance premiums for employees
* 12 weeks paid parental leave
* 8+ weeks off a year including step-away days and paid holidays
We’re committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive company because we know that diverse teams build better products and generate better ideas. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
If we believe you are a potential fit for a role here, we will reach out to schedule a screening call. We endeavor to create an environment where you can interview at your best. Our interview process is fully remote, conducted via Zoom calls. If we can provide any assistance or accommodations during your time with us, please let us know.