Senior Machine Learning Scientist
Submittable is a growing social impact platform used by thousands of companies, governments, and philanthropic organizations to manage their social impact programs and maximize their impact. We have helped big and small organizations worldwide run 134,000 programs and collect nearly 22 million applications to date. Grow your career at a public benefit corporation and Inc. 5000 fastest-growing company, while having a positive impact on people globally.
Are you inspired by inventions? Is problem-solving through teamwork in your DNA? At Submittable we build software that enables our customers to drive positive social change around the globe. This is an amazing opportunity to join a growing SaaS startup focused on building a product that at its core, is designed to help.
Submittable is looking for a Senior Machine Learning Scientist, who will take ML products from idea to delivery, including data exploration, model building, and deployment. The revamped Science team focuses on innovating and delighting our customers leveraging tools like OpenAI and generative models. A deep level of integration with our Product and Design teams is expected in this role, as you will launch customer-facing features powered by ML. You will create strategies, models, and tooling to enable and grow ML across the entire organization.
As a member of our Science Team, you will build customer-facing models enabling our customers and users at scale. Potential ideas include automating project design, optimizing awards selections, and streamlining user interactions. The Science team works closely with our full-stack data team to access data and host/operate models. Our technology stack includes DataBricks, Python, Snowflake, dbt, NoSQL, Azure, React, Kubernetes, and Kafka.
If you are ready for a new adventure at a growing SaaS startup, we would love to hear from you. Our engineering offices are in Bellevue, WA, and Missoula, MT.
How You’ll Make an Impact:
- Develop, deploy, and maintain production models
- Contribute to systems that enable us to deliver better models faster (ml infra, mlflow, CICD systems, etc)
- Work with business stakeholders to deeply understand problems and design creative solutions
- Develop metrics to quantify the benefits of a solution and influence project resources
- Work with Design, Product, and Program Management teams to design and execute new customer-facing projects
- Think creatively, proactively, and futuristically to identify and size up new opportunities within Submittable’s long-term roadmap for machine learning contributions
Skills & Experience We Hope You Bring:
- 5+ years of Machine Learning experience with tools like Python, Spark, and SQL
- 3+ years creating, deploying, and maintaining models in production
- Experience training and retraining models in production on recurring schedules
- Experience with large-scale machine learning models, necessitating distributed computing or advanced hardware (GPUs, TPUs)
- Experience with real-time processing and batch processing
- Familiarity with classical ML models (Random Forest, Gradient Boosted Trees, SVM, etc.) and deep learning architectures (transformers, RNNs, etc.)
- Familiarity with machine learning frameworks like Scikit-learn, PyTorch, and TensorFlow
- Experience with tools like DataBricks, AzureML or Sagemaker
- Communicates well with technical and non-technical audiences, can build consensus
- Enjoys working in fast-moving, greenfield environments; making decisions quickly, and building iteratively
Submittable is growing fast, and we’re scaling our team to help enable and accelerate our growth. We are looking for people who share our values, challenge ordinary thinking, and push the pace of innovation while building a future for themselves and Submittable.
Salary Details: The annual salary range for this position is $170,000-$220,000. Actual compensation is based on factors such as the candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience. We also have a location-based compensation structure; there may be a different range for candidates in other locations.
Position Location: This role will be located in Bellevue, WA, or, Missoula, MT following a hybrid work model. Employees will be expected to be onsite in our offices twice a week.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States, however, we are unable to accommodate scholastic or employment visas at this time.
Submittable is on a mission to empower social good organizations with technology that accelerates their work and scales their impact. We partnered with thousands of organizations, governments, and corporations last year to launch 10,000+ programs, process over 4 million applications, and distribute $2.5 billion in funding and aid.
We are proud to offer highly-competitive benefits for full-time employees, including:
- Health insurance, 401K, life insurance, and optional HSA, FSA, and DCA accounts
- Flexible hours, including flexible vacations and sick leave, and remote work options
- Generous paid parental leave policy for mothers, fathers, and adoptive parents
- Professional development stipends
- Involvement in community outreach programs for all employees, including company volunteer outings at local nonprofits
- Fully-stocked kitchens with complimentary snacks and beverages for all employees when working in either of our offices
- Weekly catered lunches in both offices
- Monthly company sponsored happy hours and gatherings
As a product used globally, we're very motivated to hire and support employees who are representative of different and diverse backgrounds and experiences, including but not limited to diversity of ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, religion, ability, culture, and socioeconomics.