Principal Firmware Engineer
Sofar Ocean Technologies
Sofar is on a mission to connect the world’s oceans. We design, build, and deploy the largest privately owned network of marine weather sensors to power the world’s best marine weather forecasts. Our data helps our customers to increase efficiency and reduce emissions, delivering tools to governments and other stakeholders to understand impacts of climate change on extreme weather and ocean health. We live on Planet Ocean, and our goal is to create the ocean intelligence needed to ensure a sustainable future.
You will lead the embedded firmware design and implementation of all our hardware products – Spotter, Smart Mooring and next generation platforms. Your initial focus will be on Sofar's new open hardware connectivity stack - Bristlemouth https://www.bristlemouth.org. You thrive in small and collaborative multidisciplinary teams, and are eager to pitch in to debug and solve gnarly issues (even when it's obviously a hardware problem). You strive for the shared success of improving the health of our oceans and planet by shipping a cohesive, solid and impactful product.
Some projects you’ll be a part of:
- Building new Bristlemouth integrations for Spotter and Smart Mooring
- Developing next generation platforms
- Advanced research and experiments with new and emerging technologies
- Integrated system testing, open ocean deployments, and the occasional throwing of things out of airplanes to see what breaks
- Collaborate and coordinate with product, manufacturing, other engineering functions, and leadership to define vision and roadmap for Sofar hardware development
- Manage and guide the work of 2 - 3 firmware engineers
- Lead the architecture design, scope planning and implementation of well-designed efficient embedded systems with automated unit and integration tests
- Participate in code reviews, brainstorms and whiteboard sessions with your and other teams
- Work alongside hardware engineers in integrating, testing, NPI and debugging systems
- Community stewardship collaboration and support for open source development, like Bristlemouth
Minimum Job Qualifications
- A minimum of 8 years of professional embedded firmware/software experience
- Highly competent in embedded C/C++ in RTOS environments
- Significant experience with multiple embedded platforms, including Cortex ARM
- Expertise with low level embedded networking
- Past work in IoT, robotics, drones and/or automotive products
- Competency in Python
- A passion for or connection to the ocean
Estimated Salary Range:
- The range listed is what we reasonably expect to pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and may be modified in the future. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, experience, and equity package.
Sofar's Commitment to Climate Justice
We at Sofar Ocean acknowledge that careers in the marine sciences “... have traditionally been, and remain, non-diverse work environments”, thereby limiting the entry and prosperity of underrepresented groups in the space. (Johri et al., 2021) Many of these same groups are disproportionately affected by climate change, and are often excluded from decision making that directly address their interests and needs.
We are committed to addressing these climate injustices and highly encourage people who identify as women, LGBTQ+, Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
Something looks off?