At Prime Roots, we want to celebrate the culture of meat. we love eating it, but for the sake of the planet, know there has to be a better way. In a peak life stage of experimentation – their journey through UC Berkeley – founders Kim and Josh were well aware of our climate crisis, but felt completely powerless against the enormous industries that supported it. Eventually, they realized the one thing they could control: the meat they ate every day.
After determining what makes meat, meat (the familiar texture and rich umami), Kim and Josh found a foundation in koji. From that moment, they dreamed of walking into the grocery store and seeing an entire deli case filled with Koji Meats.
Prime Roots is seeking an experienced Controller to plan and direct the accounting operations in our Berkeley facility. The Controller will ensure accurate and timely financial management of the organization. The Controller will also be responsible for accounting operations, production of periodic financial reports, and maintenance of accounting records.
What you’ll do:
- Maximizes return on financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems.
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting audits, providing information to external auditors, and satisfying other external reporting requirements.
- Assists with development of budgets; enforces budget outcomes.
- Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new financial and accounting regulations, enforcing adherence to requirements, filing financial reports with external stakeholders, and advising management on needed actions.
- Ensures operation of equipment by establishing preventive maintenance requirements and service contracts, maintaining equipment inventories, and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Leads annual audit process with external auditors. Leads tax filings with multiple tax authorities.
- Maintains accounting staff performance by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; reviewing and following up on work products.
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and CPA (inactive OK)
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in accounting/finance
- Must have experience with manufacturing and cost accounting
- Experience with systems implementation
- Understanding and experience in the food and beverage industry
- Experience with the Big 4
- Have worked in a start up environment
- Opportunity to work in a fast-growing innovative food startup
- Competitive compensation and equity
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- FSA, HSA, and Commuter Benefits Accounts
- Snacks, coffee, and tea to keep you fueled and energized at work
- Weekly company-sponsored lunches
- Loads of better-for-the-planet foods to try