Plant Your Roots with Us!
At Prime Roots, we want to celebrate the culture of meat. we love eating it, but for the sake of the planet, know there has to be a better way. In a peak life stage of experimentation – their journey through UC Berkeley – founders Kim and Josh were well aware of our climate crisis, but felt completely powerless against the enormous industries that supported it. Eventually, they realized the one thing they could control: the meat they ate every day.
After determining what makes meat, meat (the familiar texture and rich umami), Kim and Josh found a foundation in koji. From that moment, they dreamed of walking into the grocery store and seeing an entire deli case filled with Koji Meats.
About the Job
Prime Roots is seeking a Food Scientist to become an integral part of our team creating delicious meat alternatives! At Prime Roots, we envision a delicious protein-rich future that is sustainable for environmental and human health. You will have the opportunity to be at the forefront of sustainable and delicious food innovation and be amongst a team of hardworking do-ers.
What you'll be doing:
- Spearhead new product development and overseeing product formulation from benchtop to scaling up.
- Creating and refining product development and sensory science protocols and methods.
- Developing and implementing quality control and quality assurance standards of products.
- Work on innovating on characterization and functionality of novel protein sources developed in house.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to coordinate new projects and initiatives.
- Maintain regulatory compliance and safety of products and personnel.
- Overseeing product labelling and certification process.
- Source and evaluate new ingredients to use in new and existing products.
- Manage relationships with suppliers and key development partners.
- Coordinate and conduct shelf life, stability and other product tests using qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Work hands on to complete special projects, platform development projects, as well as new product development projects
- Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Food Science, Materials Science, Biochemistry, or a related field.
- 2+ years experience in product development and commercialization of new products.
- You have experience in meat or seafood processing or alternative meats
- A Well rounded scientist who has experience or deep understanding technically of textures, material science and flavors
- A believer in the scientific method for solving food development challenges and strong skills in experimental design
- Familiar with food processing equipment and scaleup methods.
- Experience and excitement working with novel ingredients and proteins.
- Extensive knowledge of sensory methods and consumer testing.
- Knowledge and experience with functional proteins, starches, hydrocolloids.
- Large skill toolkit and experience running food science and biochemistry assays.
- Strong analytical and data analysis skills.
- Opportunity to work in a fast-growing innovative food startup.
- Competitive compensation and equity.
- Excellent growth and advancement opportunities.
- Collaborative working environment
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance.
- FSA, HSA, and Commuter Benefits Accounts.
Prime Roots is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusiveness. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Something looks off?