Area Clinic Manager - Bay Area
With a technology-forward approach and a deep commitment to our people, Modern Animal is building the next generation of general practice veterinary care—one that balances the needs of their teams just as much as pet owners and their animals. Our teams are equipped with the tools, structure and support they need to practice the highest quality of medicine, without compromising on the boundaries between work and life.
Modern Animal is looking for an Area Clinic Manager role to lead one of our regions. Reporting directly to the Area Clinic Director, the Area Clinic Manager is responsible for delivering world-class experience and performance for all team members within their market. This position works in direct partnership with the Area Medical Director and broader Medical organization in a dyad relationship, and will lead and guide each clinic through opening, expansion, change management, and growth.
We are seeking a strong leader with a consistent track record of delivery who thrives operating in a fast-growing environment with infinite growth potential. This role requires a relentless customer, quality, and financial focus in order to ensure delivery across Modern Animal’s Four Commitments: Medical Quality, Team Engagement, Member Experience, and Profitable Growth. Stepping into this role, you will develop teams and drive performance, deploy process improvements, proactively remove and solution roadblocks, and effectively navigate multiple competing priorities without sacrificing results.
This person will spend 90% of their time in clinics throughout their region. Travel to other Modern Animal markets will be required, as we continue to expand along with availability on nights and weekends as needed to support the team. Occasional out of state travel will be required for training, onboarding, or team meetings. Our HQ is based in LA but this role can be done remotely based on the region.
What you can expect at Modern Animal:
- Warm, modern clinic environments that put you, the client, and the pet at ease
- A 24/7 virtual care team there for our patients as an added layer of support
- A dedicated in-clinic support team empowered to be involved more deeply in care
- A growth oriented organization ever evolving to build a better place for all
- A vibrant, supportive, blame-free culture made up of people who are all here to change veterinary medicine for the better
- Leads all tactical operations in partnership with the medical dyad across a market and up to 12 Modern Animal clinics, and ensures consistent results across our Four Commitments
- Oversees a management team of up to 10 direct reports, comprised of Clinic Managers responsible for up to to 1 respective site
- Accountable for hiring, training, retention and development of employees across all clinics within the market; identifies and proactively solves for/improves staffing trends
- Heavy focus on accelerating the upskilling of technical medical capabilities and expertise across clinic staff
- Owns P&L for all clinics under this roles remit; Establishes aggressive goals on historic trends and data, and develops specific action plans to meet or exceed the financial performance goals across the market
- Development and execution of clinic-specific growth strategies with medical dyad partner - including membership acquisition and retention; able to assess financial implications of decisions and actions, including how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace
- Owns the plan to successfully open new clinics within the region, including hiring plans across both Medicine and Ops and the successful training of all team members, and implementation of operational processes across the region
- Manages initiatives to support organic growth across the clinics within their remit: pre and post-launch clinic marketing, scheduling optimization, membership growth and retention, recruitment and onboarding of new clinic staff, and doctor and care team training and medical skill building
- Works cross-functionally and collaboratively with internal partners in an effort to support our clinic teams and execute on operational goals; stakeholders include Medical, Marketing, HR, Business Operations, Finance, Facilities/Real Estate, and Product teams
Skills and Qualifications
- 5+ years of experience leading healthcare operations across multiple sites, preferable within the veterinary industry
- Located in the territory or ownership which includes sites across multiple cities and/or states, and travels within the assigned geography up to 40% of the time
- Demonstrated track record of successful fiscal and operating leadership; proven financial expertise
- Ability to effectively lead a highly motivated and clinic management team that can influence and drive accountability towards exceptional performance across all clinics
- Experience working in a matrix organization with the ability to manage multiple critical priorities across various stakeholders and departments; experience working in a dyad relationship a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to influence and drive change across medical leadership
- Able to effectively manage multiple company-level competing priorities and highly complex business and stakeholder dynamics to consistently meet and exceed positive business outcomes
- Demonstrates entrepreneurial openness and intellectual agility; ability to explore new possibilities and to approach issues differently, while effectively assessing risk
- Ability to be in the field 90% of the time (including nights and weekends) and travel up to 40%
The pay range for this position is $85,000 - $143,000 annually; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on bonus, relocation bonus, and equity grant units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the California Pay Transparency Act. Base pay information is based on geographic location.
We believe an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We’re not looking for candidates who are “culture fits.” We’re looking for candidates who can expand our culture and challenge business as usual. We strive to foster an environment where all staff can bring their whole selves to work, by their own definition, and we strive to provide all candidates with an equitable and accessible recruitment process.
We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics.
In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
If we can offer accommodations for you in the recruitment process, or if you have feedback on how to make our recruiting more equitable or accessible, please let us know!