Engineering Manager - Infrastructure
Location: Mode is a remote-first company. We welcome applicants based remotely in all 50 states.
Data-driven companies win. Mode provides the tools to make companies data-driven. Data analysts quickly answer business questions using data in a comprehensive, cloud-based toolchain. Business users can understand and explore their company’s data in our world-class visualization product. By serving both analysts and business users, Mode provides the complete solution for data-driven companies.
The Engineering Manager for Infrastructure plays an essential role in driving and refining our platform engineering practices. This role reports to the Senior Director of Engineering, Platform and Services.
The team is tasked with maintaining infrastructure tooling so engineers throughout the company can deliver software to customers as efficiently as possible. The manager will need to understand the platform's capabilities and services so that they can evolve the platform to meet the company’s needs.
Mode’s engineering team
Come work with a diverse and deeply experienced team. We have colleagues from companies like Google, Tableau, SAS, Apple, Facebook, Glassdoor, and many more.
- Infrastructure and orchestration: Terraform, Docker, AWS ECS
- A wide array of AWS services including RDS, DynamoDB, ElastiCache
- Monitoring and observability: Honeycomb, Wavefront, Bugsnag
- Deployment: CircleCI, Lambda, Step Functions
What you'll do
- Collaborate with engineers and managers to develop a technical vision for infrastructure and platform engineering practices.
- Build a high-performing team to execute the vision - both from within the organization and through hiring.
- Mentor, manage, and support your engineers.
- Work with engineering leadership to develop career pathing and manage the performance of your team
- Establish quality standards and review processes and hold the team accountable.
- Collaborate with other members of the engineering and product team to prioritize infrastructure projects and improvements.
- Keep up with trends in AWS services, containerization, cloud infrastructure technologies, and DevOps best practices
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as part of the engineering management team
What we look for
- Proven experience in managing and building high-performing engineering teams
- High degree of empathy, prioritizing both team and individual outcomes for success
- Demonstrated ability to lead complex technical project implementation from inception to completion
- Proficiency in building and maintaining testing, continuous integration, and continuous deployment processes
- Skilled at identifying opportunities for automation and simplification to improve efficiency
- Familiarity with security best practices and networking principles in modern infrastructure
- Strong alignment with Mode's values, fostering a positive and collaborative work environment
Mode is a collaborative analytics platform that brings teams together around data to make game-changing decisions.
In everything we do, we strive to put the people we do it for first. This starts internally: together we're building a culture that embraces diversity and learning, humility and gratitude. At the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously and strive for a healthy balance between work and personal pursuits.
Benefits you can expect as a Mode employee:
- Generous, flexible PTO and family leave
- Flexible work schedules—we trust you to know what will make yourself most productive
- Excellent health coverage for team members and their families (Mode pays 100% of the premiums)
- Supportive work environment and a manager who is focused on your professional growth
- Company events that highlight our team's passions and hobbies
Mode is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. For California residents please review our CCPA Privacy Notice linked here.
The compensation range for this role is $175,000 - $225,000 to be determined by level.