Content & Community Manager - Students
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
Content & Community at Handshake
Handshake’s mission is to democratize access to opportunity, and we want to help students and other early career job seekers start or accelerate their careers.
Handshake today is a thriving platform with millions of students finding and securing their internships and first job after graduation from thousands of employers—from all of the Fortune 100 to a wide array of other companies, non-profits, as well as state or federal agencies. Along with that we power the connection between students and their career center at more than 1,400 universities across the US, the UK, Germany, and France.
We’re always evolving our platform, and content and community are key to the next stage of Handshake. Students and others who are early in their career face serious challenges getting the guidance, inspiration, and information they need to choose a career path, land that dream job, and be successful on the job. They piece this together through their career centers, the internet, and family and friend networks, but this only works for the fortunate few. Our vision is to level the playing field by bringing content and community onto Handshake—and to provide authentic, quality, and engaging content from a trusted community.
We’re building a founding Content & Community team to help us launch this opportunity to help millions of students get the job and career experience they want, need, and deserve.
Reporting to the Head of Content & Community, you’ll work with a team to build meaningful engagement on our platform. This role will source and grow relationships with student creators to help create a healthy environment that brings the early talent network together to share knowledge, provide mentorship, and create meaningful connections.
As the Content & Community Manager for Students, you will play an integral role in creating, building, and maintaining content creator and influencer partnerships. In addition to Students, your team also works with Employer and Career Center creators, and you’ll work cross-functionally with Design, Marketing, and Product teams to define creator strategies that align with community and business goals.
- Launch the content community on Handshake by activating student creators to engage through content and community, and developing incentives and engagement loops that keep them coming back
- Engage with our community members; grow and manage a stable supply of content creators by sourcing, acquiring, and onboarding creator talent and ambassadors of the Handshake platform
- Source, surface, and promote community generated content that establishes the Handshake community as the go-to source for early career job seekers
- Identify opportunities to co-create standalone projects with creators and influencers based on how Handshake uniquely aligns with their message
- Provide insights and recommendations on creator development strategies
- Project manage select programs and events that support the feed ecosystem
- Stay current on industry best practices and emerging trends; share findings with the team regularly
- Be a voice for the creator community and help identify ways to improve the feed experience
- 4+ years of experience working in creator and community management with content creators, influencers, and relevant partners.
- High agency, with a builder’s mentality, eager to do, iterate, learn, and make progress.
- Flexible and creative problem solver. You are scrappy, curious, and can take on multiple roles to make things happen. When one door closes you find another way to accomplish your team’s goals.
- Previous experience managing and developing creator and partner relationships; able to identify relevant rising creator talent.
- Successful track record of elevating brands and creators; brings a creative approach and thought process that's focused on helping creators grow and thrive.
- Brings a data-informed approach to their work; able to communicate outcomes in tangible ways.
- A good listener with excellent written and verbal communication skills; experience working across multiple teams and departments.
- Able to work independently and time manage multiple initiatives simultaneously.
For cash compensation, we set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including geographic location as well as candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Handshake is the #1 place to launch a career with no connections, experience, or luck required. The platform connects up-and-coming talent with 750,000+ employers - from Fortune 500 companies like Google, Nike, and Target to thousands of public school districts, healthcare systems, and nonprofits. In 2022 we announced our $200M Series F funding round. This Series F fundraise and valuation of $3.5B will fuel Handshake’s next phase of growth and propel our mission to help more people start, restart, and jumpstart their careers.
When it comes to our workforce strategy, we’ve thought deeply about how work-life should look here at Handshake. With our Hub-Based Remote Working strategy, employees can enjoy the flexibility of remote work, whilst ensuring collaboration and team experiences in a shared space remains possible. Handshake is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Denver, New York, London, and Berlin and teammates working globally.
Check out our careers site to find a hub near you!
What we offer
Benefits below apply to employees in full-time positions.
At Handshake, we'll give you the tools to feel healthy, happy and secure.
- 💰 Equity and ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 🍼 16 Weeks of paid parental leave for birth giving parents & 10 weeks of paid parental leave for non-birth giving parents.
- 💝 Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision policies including LGTBQ+ Coverage. We also provide resources for Mental Health Assistance, Employee Assistance Programs and counseling support.
- 💻 Handshake offers $500/£360 home office stipend for you to spend during your first 3 months to create a productive and comfortable workspace at home.
- 📚 Generous learning & development opportunities and an annual $2,000/£1,500 stipend for you to grow your skills and career.
- 🏦 401k Match: Handshake offers a dollar-for-dollar match on 1% of deferred salary, up to a maximum of $1,200 per year.
- 🏝 All full-time US-based Handshakers are eligible for our flexible time off policy to get out and see the world. In addition, we offer 8 standardized holidays, and 2 additional days of flexible holiday time off. Lastly, we have a Winter #ShakeBreak, a one-week period of Collective Time Off.
- 🏦 Pension Scheme: Handshake will provide you with a workplace pension, where you will make contributions based on 5% of your salary. Handshake will pay the equivalent of 3% towards your pension plan, subject to qualifying earnings limits.
- 🏝 Up to 25 days of vacation to encourage people to reset, recharge, and refresh, in addition to 8 bank holidays throughout the year.
For roles based in Berlin and Romania: Please ask your recruiter about region specific benefits.
Looking for more? Explore our mission, values and comprehensive US benefits at joinhandshake.com/careers.