Senior Test Automation Engineer, Satellite Software
Position: Senior Test Automation Engineer, Satellite Software
Location: Espoo, Finland
Hiring Model: On-site
Who are we?
We are a Finnish-based international New Space company with employees from over 57 countries in Finland, the US, the UK, Spain, Luxembourg, and Poland. Our team is a tight-knit group of experts from areas including engineering, software development, and radar technology. We’re innovative, driven people who strive for excellence in everything we do. As advocates of our corporate culture, we value teamwork and curiosity and know how to have fun!
What do we do?
ICEYE is building and operating its commercial constellation of small Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellites with SAR data available to customers. Our satellites acquire images of Earth at any time – even when it’s cloudy or dark – providing commercial and government partners with unmatched persistent monitoring capabilities. Information derived from our SAR images helps customers make data-driven decisions to address time-critical challenges in various sectors, such as maritime, disaster management, insurance, and finance.
What are we looking for?
To support the company's growth, we are seeking an experienced Senior Test Automation Engineer, Satellite Software to join our flight software team. The position is located in our headquarters in Espoo, Finland.
About the role?
ICEYE is committed to delivering high-quality data to its customers on time. You will help to ensure it will keep happening working in the Flight Software team.
Our team is responsible for the software that runs in the embedded systems of ICEYE’s spacecraft. This software manages onboard activities, data processing, power management, communication with the ground, propulsion system, and spacecraft health and safety. You will work with technologies such as Embedded Linux, ARM-based microcontrollers, SoCs, and RTOS.
The Flight Software team is a critical group in the company, continuously implementing new features and developing new subsystems for the new satellites and those already in our fleet.
You will design, develop, and run automation procedures and engineer test cases that give continuous feedback to your colleagues. At ICEYE, we approach testing and quality assurance with a unique mix of automation, telemetry, and manual testing. You must be passionate about building software correctly and doing innovative testing as a part of a larger engineering team. We want to ask you to continuously support the execution of test plans as part of our iterative development process. Our developers are a collection of world-class talent, and we want you to aim for the same level in your line of work.
This is a full-time position located in Espoo, Finland, with the possibility of hybrid work. If you are coming from abroad, we will gladly support relocating to the capital area of the world's happiest country.
- Working closely with satellite hardware and software engineers, you will build up relevant automation testing frameworks.
- Building up automation tests that use hardware-in-the-loop to create holistic system-level quality gates for software development.
- Create, maintain, and improve automation testing frameworks across distinct engineering groups. Keeping our test automation technologies and approaches up-to-date by integrating automated testing tools and test harnesses as required.
- Report the results of QA activities and find quickly reproducible steps for bugs that you can collaborate with engineers to establish fixes. Be able to isolate signals from the noise and issue feedback that eases your colleagues' work.
- Improving our regression testing capabilities by finding ways to catch bugs before they manifest in production and prevent them from happening again.
- Being a proactive team member, championing a quality-driven approach across the development organization. Demonstrate independent thinking, fostering clarity and resolution while mitigating ambiguity and uncertainty.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in designing test cases and running test automation as part of more significant software development.
- Worked with embedded systems, familiarity with cross-compilation, on-chip debuggers, bootloaders, and firmware.
- Proven experience in test automation frameworks (Pytest preferred) and advanced knowledge of automation testing tools and procedures.
- Experience with REST API testing, utilizing Swagger tools.
- Great coding skills (preferably skilled in Python, C, and C++)
- Experience with the Linux operating system and writing shell scripts
- Have worked with lab equipment previously and automating electronic equipment and instrumentation with ethernet interfaces.
- Be a glue coder, and be adept in developing custom tooling and scripts to be able to test different systems across the stack.
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and spoken.
- A positive attitude and a desire to learn new things.
- Degree in engineering (A master's/higher degree is a strong plus).
- Experience working in startup environments, reflecting adaptability and dynamic problem-solving.
- Proficiency in setting up CI/CD pipelines for test automation, and hands-on experience with Jenkins/Git.
- Embedded software expertise, bare-metal (no-OS), RTOS-based, and Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) libraries for ARM-based microcontrollers or SoCs.
What we offer:
- A job that matters in a dynamic New Space environment with a scale-up approach.
- An independent role with a supportive and diverse work environment.
- Occupational healthcare, occupational, and private insurance.
- A yearly benefit budget to spend as you wish (i.e., on sport, transport, wellness, lunch, etc.).
- Relocation support (i.e., flight tickets, accommodation, relocation buddy program).
- Time for self-development, research, training, conferences, or certification schemes, including access to a company-paid language course.
- Inspiring and collaborating offices and silent workspaces enable you to focus.
- Regular internal events for employees (e.g., sports events, team-building events, parties, etc.).
- A wide variety of the best coffee, tea, snacks, and sweets to accompany your daily space mission.
Diversity and inclusion are core values at ICEYE. We are passionate about building and sustaining inclusive and equitable working and learning environments for all staff. Every team member enriches our diversity by exposing us to various ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and discover, design, and deliver solutions.
Could this be the role for you? You can apply now to start your journey with ICEYE.
We are making the impossible possible together.
Talent Acquisition Partner