Legal Counsel - Commercial
Position: Legal Counsel – Commercial
Location: Finland or UK (regular travel to ICEYE headquarters in Espoo)
Hiring Model: WAH/ Hybrid
Who are we?
We are a Finnish-based international New Space company with employees from over 57 countries in Finland, the US, the UK, Spain, Luxembourg, and Poland. Our team is a tight-knit group of experts from areas including engineering, software development, and radar technology. We’re innovative, driven people who strive for excellence in everything we do. Being advocates of our corporate culture, we value teamwork and curiosity, and we know how to have fun!
What do we do?
ICEYE is building and operating its commercial constellation of small Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellites with SAR data available to customers. Our satellites acquire images of Earth at any time – even when it’s cloudy or dark – providing commercial and government partners with unmatched persistent monitoring capabilities. Information derived from our SAR images helps customers make data-driven decisions to address time-critical challenges in various sectors, such as maritime, disaster management, insurance, and finance.
What are we looking for?
We are seeking an experienced and dynamic Legal Counsel with experience in cross-border commercial transactions, with particular focus on technology, IP, data and analytics solutions. In this role you are part of our Legal team and reporting to the Associate General Counsel.
About the role?
In this role, you will be responsible for advising key business teams on a range of legal matters; and will be responsible a variety of duties including responding to bids and proposals, structuring and completing complex transactions, contract negotiations, IPR and product licensing, reseller agreements and business and risk analyses, amongst a wide range of other related tasks pertinent to the role.
The following sets out a non-exhaustive list of typical responsibilities expected in this role:
- Structuring, reviewing and drafting a wide range of legal and technical documentation including bid materials, contracts, advisory materials, products descriptions and marketing documentation, in respect of the company’s transactions globally.
- Giving accurate and timely counsel to various business teams based globally on a variety of legal and commercial matters
- Collaborating with management to devise efficient strategies and internal processes to help the company achieve its targets and goals
- Specifying internal governance policies and regularly monitoring compliance
- Researching and evaluating legal and business risks concerning company strategies, markets and operations on a global basis
- Communicating and negotiating with external parties (regulators, external counsels, suppliers, customers etc.), creating trusting relations
- Providing Legal training to various business teams including sales and sourcing
- Master of Laws (LLM) or equivalent.
- 3 - 6 years’ post qualification experience in the field of commercial technology law, gained in private practice or in-house.
- Experience of studies and/or practicing law internationally is an advantage.
- Strong experience advising on cross-border transactions. Exposure to transactions within Europe, US, APAC (particularly Japan and Australia) is desirable.
- Good experience and exposure to IPR matters, including drafting and negotiating IPR-related agreements such as licenses and assignments.
- Exposure to transactions in the following industries is desirable: space, technology, ICT, data analytics, insurance and government/public administration.
- High command of English is paramount. Fluency in Finnish or other European languages is an advantage (but not mandatory).
- Demonstrated experience in handling complex legal matters and transactions.
- Exceptional negotiation, drafting, and legal research skills. Interest and knowledge of workings of different technologies and solutions is desirable.
- Excellent communication, presentation and client management skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, with strong problem-solving and analytical capabilities.
- Ability to work well in a challenging and fast-paced environment; and adapt to changing business requirements and priorities at short notice.
What we offer:
- Competitive remuneration including benefits package
- A job that matters in a dynamic New Space environment with a scale-up approach
- An independent role with a supportive and diverse work environment
- Time for self-development, research, training, conferences, or certification schemes
Diversity & inclusion are core values at ICEYE. We are passionate about building and sustaining inclusive and equitable working and learning environments for all staff. Every member of our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and discover, design, and deliver solutions.
Could this be the role for you? Apply now to start your journey with ICEYE.
We are making the impossible possible together.