Satellite Operations Specialist (Fixed term contract)
Position: Satellite Operations Specialist
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Hiring Model: On-site
Who are we?
We are a Finnish-based international New Space company with employees from more than 57 countries in Finland, the US, the UK, Spain, Luxembourg, and Poland. Our team is a tight-knit group of experts from areas including engineering, software development, and radar technology. We’re innovative, driven people who strive for excellence in everything we do. Being advocates of our corporate culture, we value teamwork and curiosity, and we know how to have fun!
What do we do?
ICEYE is building and operating its commercial constellation of small Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellites with SAR data available to customers. Our satellites acquire images of Earth at any time – even when it’s cloudy or dark – providing commercial and government partners with unmatched persistent monitoring capabilities. Information derived from our SAR images helps customers make data-driven decisions to address time-critical challenges in various sectors, such as maritime, disaster management, insurance, and finance.
What are we looking for?
To support the company’s growth, we are looking for a Satellite Operations Specialist to join our global Satellite Operations Team. You will report to the Technical Lead of Satellite Operations in this role.
About the role?
The Satellite Operations Specialist works on shift hours on the console, together with another operator on shift. Together, they operate the satellite constellation. They monitor nominal operations. They are the first level of support for any contingencies occurring on the fleet or on ground systems. They also carry out fleet maintenance, such as software updates or orbit maintenance. Moreover, operators also perform mock operations prior to launch, as well as Launch and Early Orbit Operations.
Shift Patterns: The regular pattern is 2 mornings, 2 afternoons, 2 nights, 3-4 days off. This means that every week the working days are different.
- Acquiring and processing data from satellite constellation.
- Ongoing monitoring of communication with the constellation.
- Supervising the process of satellite image ordering.
- Performing systems analysis needed to support constellation operations.
- Collaborating with internal teams to troubleshoot system issues.
- Development of existing system solutions to optimise satellite performance.
- Reaction to real-time operational issues that may occur in a timely manner in accordance with operational procedures.
- Reporting and liaising with engineers when anomalies occur on a satellite or at a ground station.
- Configuring and monitoring multiple ground stations in line with operational requirements.
- Be a cultural fit
- Have attention to detail with an excellent ability to focus
- Have Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to react fast.
- Be passionate about joining the company / the industry
- Strong English language skills (both written and oral).
- Flexibility in scheduled working hours (ability to work morning, evening and night shifts, 365/24/7 basis) and ready to cover for sick colleagues at last minute
- Passion for continual learning.
- Relevant university degree: Aeronautical Engineering, Space studies, Applied Physics or similar, or relative experience in a similar role.
- interest in Space Industry/Satellite Operations
- Space background
- Knowledge about satellite systems
- Knowledge about orbital mechanics
- Familiarity with Linux-based systems
- Familiarity with Python
- Familiarity with Atlassian Cloud (Jira, Confluence)
- Familiarity with embedded systems
- Familiarity with STK, Savoir (or similar), scenario simulations & orbit propagations
What we offer:
- A job that matters in a dynamic New Space environment with a scale-up approach
- An independent role with a supportive and diverse work environment
- A yearly benefit budget to spend as you wish (i.e. on sport, transport, wellness, lunch, tourism, etc.)
- Relocation support (i.e. flight tickets, accommodation, relocation assistance etc.)
- Time for self-development, research, training, conferences, certification schemes, company-paid language lessons
- Occupational and private Healthcare
- Inspiring and collaborating offices and silent workspaces enable you to focus
- A wide variety of the best coffee, tea, snacks, and sweets to accompany your daily space mission
Diversity& inclusion are core values at ICEYE. We are passionate about building and sustaining inclusive and equitable working and learning environments for all staff. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and discover, design, and deliver solutions. Could this be the role for you? Apply now to start your journey with ICEYE. We are making the impossible possible together.