Meteorologist and Solutions Operations Specialist - Espoo, Finland
Make Impossible Possible in New Space - Join ICEYE
Location: Espoo, Finland
Hiring Model: WAH/ Hybrid/ On-site
We are a Finnish-based international New Space company with employees from more than 41 countries in Finland, the US, the UK, Spain, Luxembourg, and Poland. Our team is a tight-knit group of experts from areas including engineering, software development, and radar technology. We’re innovative, driven people who strive for excellence in everything we do. Being advocates of our corporate culture, we value teamwork and curiosity, and we know how to have fun!
What do we do?
ICEYE is building and operating its commercial constellation of small Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellites with SAR data available to customers. Our satellites acquire images of Earth at any time – even when it’s cloudy or dark – providing commercial and government partners with unmatched persistent monitoring capabilities. Information derived from our SAR images helps customers make data-driven decisions to address time-critical challenges in various sectors, such as disaster management, insurance, finance, and maritime.
What are we looking for?
To support the company’s growth, we continue to scale our Solutions Delivery team and are looking for a Meteorologist to join our team in the Warsaw, Poland office, or remotely in Japan. ICEYE Solutions Delivery team is responsible for 24/7 operations that enable near-real-time assessment of the impact of global natural catastrophes and geophysical change using remote sensing technology. These solutions empower end users to quantitatively make timely actions for event characterization, assessment, and response during stressful and uncertain times.
About the role?
As a Meteorologist and Solutions Operations Specialist, you will support our team in daily operations of monitoring global natural catastrophes. You will synthesize information from a variety of sources to aid in prioritizing and planning SAR data acquisitions for events. You will work closely with other Meteorologists and the Solutions Operations Team Lead to build out ICEYE’s global weather monitoring capabilities, create and execute frameworks for operational forecasting of natural catastrophes, and use your technical skills to help create custom analytics. You will also provide valuable insight into natural catastrophes, and utilize your communications skills to convey that information in a clear and concise manner to your coworkers and to external clients.
- Operate a daily weather monitoring and forecasting capability focused on natural catastrophes using a variety of online and ICEYE resources
- Provide daily input on real-time storm tracking for the Solutions Operations team members responsible for satellite tasking and acquisition
- Build detailed and comprehensive SAR data acquisition plans and task ICEYE constellation in order capture natural catastrophes
- Provide recommendations as well as weather updates for Solutions GIS Analysts performing flood analysis
- Define requirements and collaborate with our Analytics engineering team to design and automate meteorology-focused analytics
- Create rigorous processes for ensuring global readiness for natural catastrophe analytics to be performed 24/7.
- Lead daily weather huddles and standups to ensure tight operational procedures around natural catastrophe events
- Identify and communicate important natural catastrophes to Marketing and Social Media teams to help further ICEYE brand recognition as SAR leader in natural catastrophe monitoring
- Education in Meteorology, Atmospheric Sciences, or a closely related field
- Experience with operational forecasting for decision making (min. 2 years)
- Excellent time management, communication skills, proactiveness and problem solving
- Ability to work a non-standard schedule (extra hours, weekends, and holidays as needed)
- Being comfortable with finding your own way and live well in the continuous stream of change that is inevitable in a start-up that is beginning to scale
- Dealing well with pressure and strict deadlines
Extra Credit Attributes:
- Direct monitoring and forecasting experience for natural catastrophes
- Deep understanding of tropical meteorology and/or hydrology
- Experience in earth observation
- Global forecasting experience
- Experience working in or with the insurance industry
- Experience working in or with emergency management
- Familiarity with GIS software (eg. ArcGIS, QGIS)
- SAR or radar data fundamentals
- Satellite tasking
- A job that matters in a dynamic New Space environment with a scale-up approach
- An independent role with a supportive and diverse work environment
- Occupational healthcare, occupational and private insurance
- A yearly benefit budget to spend as you wish (i.e. on sport, transport, bike benefit, wellness, lunch, etc.)
- Phone subscription with iphone of choice
- Relocation support (i.e. flight tickets, accommodation,relocation agency support)
- Time for self-development, research, training, conferences, or certification schemes
- Finnish & English lessons
- Inspiring and collaborating offices and silent workspaces enabling you to focus
- A wide variety of best coffee, tea, snacks, and sweets to accompany your daily space mission
Diversity& inclusion are core values at ICEYE. We are passionate about building and sustaining inclusive and equitable working and learning environments for all staff. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and discover, design, and deliver solutions.
Could this be the role for you? Apply now to start your journey with ICEYE.
We are making the impossible possible together.
Something looks off?