Position: Senior Hydrologist
Location: Espoo, Finland
Hiring Model: Hybrid
Who are we?
We are a Finnish-based international New Space company with employees from more than 57 nationalities. Our team is a tight-knit group of experts from areas including engineering, software development, and radar technology. We’re innovative, driven people who strive for excellence in everything we do. Being advocates of our corporate culture, we value teamwork and curiosity, and we know how to have fun!
What do we do?
ICEYE is building and operating its commercial constellation of small Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellites with SAR data available to customers. Our satellites acquire images of Earth at any time – even when it’s cloudy or dark – providing commercial and government partners with unmatched persistent monitoring capabilities. Information derived from our SAR images helps customers make data-driven decisions to address time-critical challenges in various sectors, such as maritime, disaster management, insurance, and finance.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for a Senior Hydrologist with applied hydraulic modeling knowledge to join our Analytics team. The ideal candidate should hold a degree in hydrology, environmental science, civil engineering, computer science or related discipline. Experience in creating, testing, and deploying a 2D inundation model for rapid flood mapping is beneficial. This could evolve into a leadership role. You will report to the Analytics Director of R&D in this position.
About the role?
ICEYE flood solutions empower insurance, first responders, and government clients to provide timely support to people whose livelihoods are impacted following natural disasters such as fluvial and pluvial flooding, hurricanes, cyclones, and more. The Sr. Hydrologist will guide our model development for multiple types of hydrological effects to improve our geospatial data processing and solutions delivery teams. Models will account for rainfall, terrain, land-use / land-cover and a number of other sources for optimised hydrological modelling and sensitivity analysis to the different factors affecting flooding.
Leveraging ICEYE’s archive of past flood analyses, SAR imagery, tools and external datasets, you will help to refine the models to ensure high performance of flood products and close agreement of flood extent and depth observations with internal and third-party field measurements.
You will be responsible to help build and modify evidence-based hydrological flood models for global flood analysis and flood predictions for ICEYE products. You will also help in the automation of flood mapping workflows to support scalable solutions development.
- Help build and modify hydrodynamic models for global flood analysis and predictions
- Leverage ICEYE historic flood analyses, SAR imagery, and other data sources for model development
- Critical review of current hydrological process
- Identification of key datasets that would be valuable enablers for our solution
- Development of flood underwriting risk products, providing probabilistic risk assessment of flooding
- Development of models that can be used to assess coastal flooding (storm surge)
- Working with natural catastrophe modelers to empower them to create robust loss estimates
- Experience in 2D inundation models (WCA2D, Caddies, LISFlood-fp, etc)
- Experience leveraging remote sensing imagery
- Experience in application of flood models to real-world use cases
- Experiences in computer languages, such as Python, C++
- Knowledge / expertise with coastal flooding / storm surge
- Leading small teams of engineers a plus
- Experience with cloud scaling models a plus
- A job that matters in a dynamic New Space environment with a scale-up approach
- An independent role with a supportive and diverse work environment
- Occupational healthcare, occupational and private insurance
- A yearly benefit budget to spend as you wish (i.e. on sport, transport, wellness, lunch, etc.)
- Relocation support (i.e. flight tickets, accommodation, relocation assistance) is Optional if the job requires it
- Time for self-development, research, training, conferences, or certification schemes, including access to a company-paid language course.
- Inspiring and collaborating offices and silent workspaces enable you to focus.
- A wide variety of the best coffee, tea, snacks, and sweets to accompany your daily space mission
Diversity& inclusion are core values at ICEYE. We are passionate about building and sustaining inclusive and equitable working and learning environments for all staff. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and discover, design, and deliver solutions.
Could this be the role for you? Apply now to start your journey with ICEYE.
We are making the impossible possible together.
Something looks off?