Software Engineer - II (DevOps)
Pune, Maharashtra, India
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2023
We are on a mission to rid the world of bad customer service by “mobilising” the way help is delivered. Today’s consumers want an always-available customer service experience that leaves them feeling valued and respected. Helpshift helps B2B brands deliver this modern customer service experience through a mobile-first approach that changes how conversations take place, moving the conversation away from slow, outdated email and desktop experience to an in-app chat experience that allows users to interact with Brands on their own time. Through our market leading chatbots and automations, we help brands deliver instant and rapid resolutions. Because agents play a key role in delivering help, our platform gives agents superpowers with automations and AI that simply works. Companies such as Brex, EA, Square, Tencent, Supercell along with hundreds of other leading brands use the Helpshift platform to mobilise customer service delivery. Over 820 million active monthly consumers and are enabled on 2B+ devices around the world with Helpshift.
Some numbers which illustrate our scale:
*~50ms avg response time
*~350GB data transfer out / hour
About the Team:
Foundation team is at the core of Helpshift engineering. We provide foundation for the engineers to reliably build, deploy, and scale Helpshift products. We’re responsible for creating, maintaining and scaling tools (software and systems) used by many teams for critical workloads.
Foundation team work in following areas:
*Developer Experience (Deployment, Dev Tools & Core Libraries)
*Core Infrastructure (Scalability, Performance & Optimisation)
*Security & Compliance
You’ll be on a team that maintains, builds and scale infrastructure that will be used by the rest of the engineering. You’ll make decisions with a significant impact on Helpshift. There is a lot of work to do to make Helpshift engineers’ work easier and our core infrastructure even more reliable than it is today, and we’d love for you to be part of it. We’re close to the people using our systems, so we constantly get feedback that we can use to make them better.
We’re looking for people with a strong background in systems. We’d love to hear from you whether you’re a seasoned systems developer, or whether you’ve just learned you might like working with databases and large scale systems.
About the Role:
- Understand, automate and scale Helpshift cloud infrastructure. This will involve learning and working with various cloud technologies, scripting languages, and CM tools.
- Own Helpshift production services and ensure complete monitoring coverage, troubleshoot and fix production issues.
- Architect and implement projects that reduce or eliminate repetitive and administrative tasks.
- Ensure all services and infrastructure are Highly Available, with Disaster Recovery in place.
- Performance engineering for backend services and stores such as MongoDB, Elasticsearch, Kafka, HAProxy
- Work in a lean team, with a focus on getting things done.
- In-depth knowledge of running/managing UNIX-like operating systems (we use Ubuntu).
- Relevant experience of 5+ years and above.
- Good programming skills with focus on scripting (Python, Shell, Perl).
- Good fundamental knowledge of networking (TCP/IP, firewalls, routing).
- Experience of various FOSS tools for monitoring, graphing, capacity planning, and logging.
- Experience with automation tools like Ansible, Puppet, Fabric.
- Experience with Cloud Computing platforms like Amazon AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Heroku.
- Have an automation mindset and ability to reason and work with complex systems.
- Experience with managing NoSQL (MongoDB) and RDBMS (PostgreSQL)
- Experience with queuing systems (Kafka, RabbitMQ) and Big data platforms (Hadoop)
- Ability to analyse bottlenecks in architecture and quickly debug to reach resolution for issues
- Experience with performance engineering is a plus
Projects you could work on:
- Containerisation of our infrastructure using Kubernetes.
- We have a ton of important work to do, which is why we’re hiring! Our projects are of course changing all the time, but here are a few projects that we’ve done in the past or are there in our roadmap, so you can get an idea of the types of projects you’ll work on. Technologies we use include: HAProxy, NGINX, Jenkins, Elasticsearch, StatsD, Kafka, Storm, MongoDB, Hadoop.
- We need to scale our databases to handle 10x the load they can today. You could help us share them more effectively, upgrade our database engines, and build great tools for developers so they can understand their slow queries more easily.
- Build a seamless zero-downtime process to upgrade our core infrastructure (ScyllaDB, Elasticsearch, Kafka, MongoDB, Redis)Move us to a region with no downtime. Build a cloud infrastructure that’ll be easy to move to a different cloud service provider.
- Improve and scale deployment infrastructure. Reduce deployment time.
Helpshift embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, colour, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.