Senior Carbon Accounting Lead
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2024
Who we are
Our mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to net zero carbon, but we need to move quickly. Emitwise wants to ensure that every organisation across the world, big or small, is able to embark on a sustainability journey that culminates in net zero. The planet deserves more than just another tech company, and if you do too, then keep reading.
At Emitwise, we've built a team that has the skillset and desire to bring automated carbon accounting to life — saving businesses time, money, and emissions. We have built a platform which makes it significantly easier and faster for companies to calculate, track, and reduce their carbon emissions. This allows them to reduce costs, future-proof their business, and become sustainability leaders. Ultimately, we're a group of people disenchanted with business as usual and looking to make a real impact through creative innovation.
We’re a well-funded post-Series-A startup backed by top-tier Silicon Valley investors who share our mission, including True Ventures, Outsized Ventures, Lightbird Capital, ArcTern, Social Impact Capital and Xplorer Capital. To develop industry-shifting products we work with pioneers like Marc Engel, Ex Chief Supply Chain Officer of Unilever, Lynelle Cameron, ex Chief Sustainability Officer of Autodesk and Rob Bernard, Chief Sustainability Officer of CBRE.
We are looking for a Carbon Accounting Lead to join us as soon as possible on a full-time, permanent basis. You will be a key member of the Carbon Accounting team and the role will involve the following key responsibilities;
Expert advisor to our customers on carbon accounting - You’ll work with new and existing customers (across sectors and of all sizes) to understand their business activities and the corresponding sources of GHG emissions. You’ll advise them on the possible calculation methods and the data they need to collect. You’ll help them to understand the GHG emissions results, how they have been calculated and how they can be improved.
Expert user of the Emitwise product - You’ll work with Carbon Accounting Analysts to use the Emitwise product to process raw activity data, classify that data correctly and ensure the assignment of appropriate emissions factors from our expansive database.
Developing a groundbreaking software product - You’ll provide feedback to our Product team on yours and our customers’ experience of using the Emitwise platform. You’ll also use your expert knowledge to advise and contribute to the development of new functionality - ensuring we maintain and improve our best-in-class carbon accounting and management platform.
Striving for efficiency and innovation - We’re a rapidly scaling tech startup and our processes and product are in a constant state of development and improvement. You’ll constantly be thinking and working on ways to reduce effort for (and to increase value for) Emitwise and our customers. Providing a fantastic customer experience - You’ll work closely with one or more Customer Success leads, forming the ‘human face’ of Emitwise and ensuring that we meet our customers’ objectives.
Mentoring and management - You’ll mentor other members of the Carbon Accounting team, supporting them with their work. This could also include Line Management of one or more colleagues.
What you’ll need
- You're deeply committed to our mission of tackling the climate emergency and helping companies to make progress on decarbonization and achieving Net Zero.
- You have a strong understanding and experience of corporate carbon accounting (across Scopes 1, 2 and 3) and awareness of the broader context of GHG management (standards, frameworks, target-setting, reporting, and regulations). Ideally, you've gained this from 5-8 years (or more) of relevant experience, for example working in a data-focussed consultancy with significant work on carbon accounting, a company’s in-house sustainability/reporting team, or a data-focussed tech company.
- You have great academic credentials, including a degree in a relevant field (e.g. environmental science/management) or a broader field with a quantitative, analytical focus (e.g. data science, engineering or economics) and awareness of environmental issues.
- You have strong proficiency in Excel/Google sheets, able to transform, aggregate, analyse and summarise complex data sets.
- You possess innovative and creative thinking abilities, a strong desire to solve problems, improve processes, willingness to share your opinions, and challenge the status quo.
- You are able to communicate complex, technical information clearly, concisely and accurately - in writing and in meetings with customers.
- You're flexible, adaptable, and will thrive in a fast-moving, rapidly-scaling company.
- Deep technical knowledge in one or more strategic technical areas of carbon accounting/management e.g. accounting for emissions from Forestry Land-use & Agriculture; product-level GHG assessments; target setting (SBTs); evolving regulatory reporting requirements.
- Knowledge and experience in data modelling, and/or working experience in a programming language, such as Python, SQL or R.
- Experience-in or knowledge-of large corporations, particularly those within manufacturing sectors.
What is nice to have
💷 Salary - £50-65k depending on experience
🗺 Location - London - 7 Harp Ln, London, EC3R 6DP (🚋Monument or Tower Hill station).
📌Hybrid working - We’re flexible but would prefer the successful candidate to come into the London office 1-2 days per week.
📅 Start date - ASAP (within 3 months)
👨💻👩💻Interview process; 30-minute online interview with a senior member of the Customer Impact team; technical task (c. 2 hours preparation in your own time and then 45-minute presentation/interview), values interview with two members of the Emitwise team (1 hour)
🌍Accelerating the global fight against climate change through corporate sustainability.
🌍Attractive options packages.
🌍Pension matching to 5%.
🌍Unlimited holidays, with a recommended 28 days (not including bank holidays).
🌍Comprehensive health insurance policy provided by Aviva Health.
🌍£60 per month well-being contribution against gym or training costs, as well as an annual subscription to the enhanced Headspace app.
🌍Take mental health days, no questions asked.
🌍Flexible working hours.
🌍Cycle to work scheme.
🌍Personalised workspace: Whether it's at home or at work, we want anywhere where you do work to be a place that is ergonomic, comfortable, and productive. We offer a stipend of £200 per quarter for investing in your workspace.
🌍Shared parental benefits and leave available: This is applicable for either parent, as well as for births or adoption.
🌍Caregiving benefits and leave available.
🌍Regular monthly team socials. We recognise the importance of the social relationships you create within the workplace. We believe in creating regular opportunities for the team to come together and build relationships.
What are you waiting for?
If this sounds like a team you'd like to join, a mission you'd like to be part of and a role you'd thrive in, then apply now! And if you’re not sure whether you’re what we’re looking for - send us your CV anyway! We love to hear from people who are passionate about what we do, and we always take the view that a good cultural fit (and mission alignment) is much more important than ticking all the “qualifications, skills and experience” boxes. Whatever skills you bring to the table and whatever background you're coming from, we welcome you to start a conversation with us. The time to act is now.
We also believe that diversity is the cornerstone of innovation. We embrace uniqueness and continually strive for equity for all. Ultimately, our team powers Emitwise. We want all our employees to feel valued and appreciated for who they are, where they come from, and what they've achieved. Our employee policy is designed to prevent discrimination regardless of gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, neurodiversity, disability status, citizenship, or any other aspect which makes them unique.
All that said, it’s also important to mention that we are currently only able to accept applications from candidates who have the right to work in the UK, and we like to deal directly with our candidates so no agencies please!