Staff Software Engineer
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2023
Who we are
Our mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to net zero carbon, but we need to move quickly. Emitwise wants to ensure that every organisation across the world, big or small, is able to embark on a sustainability journey that culminates in net zero. The planet deserves more than just another tech company, and if you do too, then keep reading.
At Emitwise, we've built a team that has the skillset and desire to bring automated carbon accounting to life — saving businesses time, money, and emissions. We have built a platform which makes it significantly easier and faster for companies to calculate, track, and reduce their carbon emissions. This allows them to reduce costs, future-proof their business, and become sustainability leaders. Ultimately, we're a group of people disenchanted with business as usual and looking to make a real impact through creative innovation.
We’re a well-funded post-Series-A startup backed by top-tier Silicon Valley investors who share our mission, including True Ventures, Outsized Ventures, Lightbird Capital, ArcTern, Social Impact Capital and Xplorer Capital. To develop industry-shifting products we work with pioneers like Marc Engel, Ex Chief Supply Chain Officer of Unilever, Lynelle Cameron, ex Chief Sustainability Officer of Autodesk and Rob Bernard, Chief Sustainability Officer of CBRE.
We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to help us deliver new versions of our core product. We are a small team, with a lot of ground to cover, so while we value expertise in specific areas, you should be happy working at different levels in the stack. This might include writing performant backend web services, implementing data pipelines, setting up infrastructure in the cloud, or creating a responsive, beautiful UX. For this role, we are particularly interested in someone who’s had a substantial amount of experience processing production data in a queue-based system, but who still considers themselves a generalist at heart.
The impact you’ll have:
- Enabling our customers and their suppliers to painlessly provide us with data about their carbon emitting activities
- Improving how we automatically determine carbon emissions from that data
- Productionising research-grade emission classification models
- Increasing the robustness and traceability of our end-to-end data flow
- Extending our customer facing application to help customers easily analyse and reduce their carbon footprint
The work you will do:
- Hands on development work as part of one of our squads
- Helping shape the broad architecture of the system and taking the lead in designing new parts of it
- Contributing to setting technical strategy and driving good engineering practice throughout the organisation
- Being a source of technical wisdom, acting as consultant on hard technical issues across the squads, and leading technical design reviews and post mortems
- Mentoring less senior engineers and helping the team upskill
What you’ll need:
- At least 8 years of professional experience as a software engineer
- To have worked in small start up before, and to have a good sense of the limitations this imposes and the trade-offs involved
- A degree of comfort working on both the back- and front-end of a modern web application
- Substantial experience in processing data in a distributed system
- Expertise in at least one general purpose programming language, and significant exposure to others. We mostly use Go and Typescript with a fair bit of Python, but it’s fine if your expertise is in something different - your overall approach to development is more important than the languages you know
- A desire to remain hands on, at least for now. This role is specifically for someone who wants to have a broad impact across the team as an individual contributor rather than as a manager
- The ability to be flexible, adaptable, and thrive in a rapidly changing environment
- Passion for our mission
What’s nice to have:
- Experience with some or all of the specific technologies we use in our stack, including: React and Typescript, Go and Python, Postgres and Elasticsearch, Kubernetes and AWS
- Expertise in any of: devops/infrastructure work, security, or front-end development
💷 Salary - £90,000-£110,000
🗺 Location - London - 7 Harp Ln, London, EC3R 6DP
📌Hybrid working - We are looking at 1 day per week in the office but there is flexibility around this and can be discussed with the Head of Engineering.
👨💻👩💻Interview process - 45 minute intro call, take home task (3-4 hours) 1 hour task review, 1 hour system design task & 1 hour values interview. More information on each stage will be given in the intro call.
🌍Accelerating the global fight against climate change through corporate sustainability.
🌍Attractive options packages.
🌍Pension matching to 5%.
🌍Unlimited holidays, with a recommended 28 days (not including bank holidays).
🌍Comprehensive health insurance policy provided by Aviva Health.
🌍£50 per month against gym or training costs, as well as an annual subscription to the enhanced Headspace app.
🌍Take mental health days, no questions asked.
🌍Flexible working hours.
🌍Cycle to work scheme.
🌍Personalised workspace: Whether it's at home or at work, we want anywhere where you do work to be a place that is ergonomic, comfortable, and productive. We offer a stipend of £200 per quarter for investing in your workspace.
🌍£1,000 per year stipend for professional development.
🌍Shared parental benefits and leave available: This is applicable for either parent, as well as for births or adoption.
🌍Caregiving benefits and leave available.
🌍Regular monthly team socials. We recognise the importance of the social relationships you create within the workplace. We believe in creating regular opportunities for the team to come together and build relationships.
What are you waiting for?
If this sounds like a team you'd like to join, a mission you'd like to be part of and a role you'd thrive in, then apply now! And if you’re not sure whether you’re what we’re looking for - send us your CV anyway! We love to hear from people who are passionate about what we do, and we always take the view that a good cultural fit (and mission alignment) is much more important than ticking all the “qualifications, skills and experience” boxes. Whatever skills you bring to the table and whatever background you're coming from, we welcome you to start a conversation with us. The time to act is now.
We also believe that diversity is the cornerstone of innovation. We embrace uniqueness and continually strive for equity for all. Ultimately, our team powers Emitwise. We want all our employees to feel valued and appreciated for who they are, where they come from, and what they've achieved. Our employee policy is designed to prevent discrimination regardless of gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, neurodiversity, disability status, citizenship, or any other aspect which makes them unique.
All that said, it’s also important to mention that we are currently only able to accept applications from candidates who have the right to work in the UK, and we like to deal directly with our candidates so no agencies please!