Infrastructure Engineer (San Francisco,CA - Hybrid)
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, October 6, 2023
(San Francisco, CA - Hybrid)
📍Work Tuesdays and Thursdays at our San Francisco office and the rest WFH.
Our office in San Francisco is at 580 California Street and is a few blocks from the Montgomery exit of BART and MUNI.
ENGINEERING / FULL-TIME
APPLY FOR THIS JOB
Life is short - do something that matters! We are Academia.edu. Our mission is to accelerate and democratize the world's research, which increases the speed of scientific discovery, and this benefits everyone.
Who we are
We are building the world’s largest network for sharing and finding academic research online. With over 237M registered users and nearly half of the world’s academics using our platform monthly, Academia.edu has a significant global reach.
By joining our team, you will have the chance to make a positive and lasting impact on our users around the globe. Our users range from researchers, academics, and industry professionals to college students. Our company has over 340,000 paying premium subscribers, which has resulted in positive cash flow. This puts us in a unique position to disrupt the $25 billion academic publishing industry.
What we're looking for
Our ideal candidates are not only great at what they do but are also mission-driven. Ideally, you have experience working across the stack and are excited about scaling and building out our infrastructure.
- Must have:
- 2+ years experience supporting a large scale production web infrastructure.
- Computer Science degree or equivalent related experience.
- Strong AWS experience.
- Familiarity with one or more configuration management tools (Terraform, Ansible, Chef or other) .
- Strong Linux knowledge.
- Experience with containerization (e.g., ECS, EKS, and/or Kubernetes...)
- Nice to have:
- Experience with Security certification process (SOC, ISO, etc.).
- Experience creating and maintaining Observability tooling (e.g.Datadog).
- Prior experience supporting a large Ruby-on-Rails monolith at scale.
- Experience designing and building networks and/or Network security.
- Understanding one or more relational databases (e.g., Postgres, MySQL, etc.).
- Experience with CI automation (Circle CI, CodeBuild).
- Extensive Security/Firewall/Network experience.
- Experience with Data Warehousing and analysis at scale
Our Tech Stack:
- Terraform, Datadog, CircleCI, Codebuild, Jenkins, Ansible
- AWS ecosystem (EC2, S3, ECS, RDS, Redshift, Aurora, and many others)
- PostgreSQL, Redis, Elasticsearch
- Ruby on Rails, Sidekiq
- React + Typescript
What you’ll work on:
- You will scale and maintain infrastructure at a Top 500 web property.
- Manage databases with hundreds of terabytes of data.
- implement good security practices as an organization grows.
What impact will you have?
- Researchers from all over the world give us fantastic feedback:
- “I go through all the articles in the bulk download, save the ones that are clearly going to be useful, and discard the remainder. This saves loads of time but also points me in directions I might not otherwise have thought of looking.”
- “The bulk downloads give me the chance to read more related articles as well as see what research is citing the article I am looking at. It also helps me rapidly expand my personal digital library of references.”
- See more: https://www.academia.edu
What you’ll get?
- In addition to working closely with and collaborating with our diverse, talented, tight-knit team, we value fostering employee growth.
- Our ~82-person team, which includes ~38 Software Engineers, values curiosity, initiative, teamwork, and we are passionate about building a great work environment that produces great products.
- We have an employee-focused benefits program that includes:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees that covers their spouses and dependents.
- A generous Paid Time Off includes 21 paid vacation days, 12 paid company holidays, 1 volunteer day, and many other PTO leaves as well.
- Annual professional development allowance & PTO.
- Work/Life balance with flex hours.
- Flexible sick days.
- Book stipend.
- Stock options.
- Parental & birth parent leave - 8 fully paid weeks each.
- Fully paid 6-week sabbatical after 4 years of employment.
- Weekly Bootcamp & yoga class.
- FSA accounts.
- Catered lunches
- Company-paid retreats.
- Commuter benefits.
- WFH monthly Internet stipend.
- New hardware and accessories for WFH productivity setup.
- 401K plan.
In addition, for those who working at our office, located near MUNI & BART in beautiful downtown San Francisco - Financial District. The office is stocked with snacks, drinks, and oftentimes catered lunches.
Diversity and Inclusion
Academia is a proud equal opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The first-year cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $150,000 to $180,000 USD. Multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, determine final offer amounts and may vary from those listed above.