Publishing Manager - London, UK
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2023
Join our Editorial Team
Academia.edu is currently seeking an Publishing Manager to support our mission, values, and commitment to open access, data integrity, and innovation in scientific publishing. This is a key role interacting with internal and external stakeholders including external editorial teams and internal product and operations teams. The successful candidate will play an integral part within the scientific research community by assisting researchers worldwide publish high quality results in a rapid timeframe.
Academia.edu journals offer a global audience of researchers rapid publication and quick dissemination of their peer reviewed published work. Following the success of Academia Letters, an online platform for publishing and sharing brief communications of primary research, Academia.edu will launch a suite of fully open access peer reviewed journals for our global academic community. The journals will provide new places to publish work of interest to a wide audience and will focus around key subject areas starting with biology and medicine, continuing with engineering, environmental sciences, eventually covering all subject areas in life sciences, physical sciences, social sciences and humanities. Using the extensive Academia.edu audience we aim to provide rapid, rigorous and peer reviewed publication. Each journal community will connect a large audience of global researchers driving debate and conversation between editors, researchers and the wider Academia.edu community. Every journal will be led by a renowned Editor in Chief, working alongside an editorial board, providing robust peer review through the large and extensive Academia.edu audience, ensuring authors receive feedback on their work quickly.
The Publishing Manager will be primarily responsible for the successful launch and strategic development of the journal/s in his/her portfolio, monitoring journal performance through the entire end-to-end process of publication, and ensuring maximum speed and efficiency. This role will require a strong customer care focus, ensuring a perfect customer experience of the scholars interacting with Academia.edu journals, in their capacity as either authors, reviewers or editors.
Specific responsibilities will include the following:
• Monitor the key performance indicators of the journal, identify areas for improvement and take action as appropriate.
• Facilitate and track manuscripts through an online author portal from initial submission to final editorial decision.
• Perform manuscript checks for compliance that adhere to ethical and scientific standards for the journal after submission, revision and in preparation for acceptance.
• Monitor peer review process with a goal of obtaining timely feedback from editors and reviewers.
• Build excellent communications and relationships with the Editor-in-Chief and the Editorial Board Members, authors, reviewers and any guest editors.
• Ensure that all members of the Editorial Board are fully aware of the mission and editorial policies of the journal, and have all necessary training and information to perform their roles.
• Attend conferences to promote the journal/s and develop a network of contacts within relevant fields.
• Actively collaborate with internal editorial, product and operations teams.
- 5 years relevant experience + Bachelor’s degree or 3 years relevant experience + Master’s or Doctoral degree
- Must have relevant experience working in an editorial role (not translation, indexing, content creation, etc.) for an Open Access publisher managing a journal or a large section of a journal
- Degree(s) should ideally be in one of the following fields: Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, Materials Science, Agriculture, Medicine and Pharmacy, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. Degrees in other fields are also acceptable if the candidate has minimum 5 years experience in an editorial role for an academic publisher
- Ability to accommodate calls with the team members in California during CA business hours once or twice per week
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills in English
- Track record of overseeing day-to-day publishing activities while meeting time sensitive deadlines
- Track record of building strong relationships with stakeholders such as the Editor-in-Chief, Editorial Board Members, authors, reviewers and guest editors
- A customer-service focused approach to all communications
- Strong interpersonal skillsAbility to adapt to change, handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously and to prioritize individually in a constantly-changing, fast-paced startup environment
- Proficiency with office software such as Google Suite, Microsoft Office, etc.
- An enthusiasm for open access academic publishing
- Competitive compensation
- Professional and personal development
- Work from home
- Flexible working hours