Senior Product Data Analyst
IT, Product, Data Science
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2022
Academia.edu is a venture-backed, for-profit business based in San Francisco. Our mission is to accelerate the world's research, and we have spent the last 13 years building the world's largest online network for sharing and finding academic research. With over 228 million users and nearly half of the world's academics using our platform every month, our product team develops compelling products for academics and researchers at scale.
About the data team:
The data team includes folks from various backgrounds including academia, consulting, government, and tech.
Product data analysts (PDAs) are embedded on various product teams, some of which currently include author products, publishing, user segmentation, mobile apps, and SEO. PDAs rotate product team assignments up to a couple of times a year, creating opportunities to work on various products at different maturity stages. The team shares what they're working on a few times a week to enhance transparency and create space for within-team collaboration. We also have weekly lunches together as well as a journal club to discuss various topics. Identifying opportunities for learning on your own and with others is highly encouraged. Our stack includes Redshift for our data warehouse; Sisense/Periscope for dashboarding; DBT for data transformations; and SQL plus Python or R for analyses.
How you'll contribute:
- Partner with product managers, software developers, and executives to identify underlying questions, uncover insights, and generate product recommendations.
- Own A/B testing data and analyses for your embedded product team. Communicate findings and recommendations to stakeholders.
- Automate recurring questions using different elements of our data stack.
The following is an ideal list of skills for this position. Please feel free to apply even if you don't meet all of the requirements below :)
- 3+ years of relevant experience doing product analytics and/or data analytics.
- Excellent SQL skills. This includes working with tables up to a few TB large, using CTEs, and using window functions.
- Industry experience with descriptive statistics and A/B testing approaches.
- Experience with Python or R for data analysis.
- Open to learning new languages and tools as needed.
- Experience with various parts of our stack mentioned in the “About the data team” section is a plus.
Benefits & perks:
Compensation & Benefits:
Competitive salary, stock options, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) & Dependent Care Account (DCA), & a 401k.
Health & Self-Care: Fully covered medical, dental, & vision insurance for employees & their dependents.
Flexible sick days, flexible hours, 21 days of paid vacation, 12 paid company holidays, and paid parental leave.
New Mac laptops and a remote work budget, including a monthly internet stipend.
Bay Area Convenience & Location: The office is located just a short walk to public transportation and includes snacks, drinks, on-site showers, bike storage.
Learning & Development: Budget for professional development, team building, and events.
Monthly book budget.
Fun & Activities: Weekly virtual fitness bootcamp and weekly virtual yoga with our personal instructors.
Paid Sabbatical: Six weeks of fully-paid sabbatical leave for every four years you work here.
In addition, we have a physical office where many work, which is located near MUNI & BART in beautiful downtown San Francisco. The office is stocked with snacks, drinks, and oftentimes catered lunches.
Diversity and Inclusion
Academia is a proud equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.